India’s largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki India is joining the EV race. Reports are coming that Maruti and Toyota are jointly developing a global midsize electric SUV. Yet no official name has been given to this car, the company has given it the codename YY8. Leaks suggest that this will be more powerful than the existing EV present in the Indian market.
From this, it is clear that this SUV will directly compete with Tata Nexon EV. Let us know what we know about this car so far.
- Dimensions of Maruti-Toyota Electric Midsize SUV The length of this SUV will be over 4.2 metres, which means, it will be longer than the Tata Nexon EV. However, it will have a smaller width than the MG ZS EV.
- At the same time, its wheelbase will be more than both Nexon and MG ZS EV.
- Two-wheel and four-wheel driving can be found in the Maruti-Toyota YY8 electric SUV.
- A 138hp motor and 48kWh battery pack can be given in the two-wheel-drive variant. Its range can be close to 400km.
You may also like: Types of Electric Vehicles available in market
- On the other hand, a combination of two electric motors with 170hp power can be found in the four-wheel-drive variant. It is expected to get a 59kWh battery pack. Its range can be 500km.
- A made-in-India battery will be used in this electric SUV. This battery will be manufactured by Gujarat’s local lithium-ion battery manufacturer TDSG. Sourcing battery packs for EVs is one of the most expensive things. In such a situation, when the local battery is used in the car, then the manufacturers will be able to do cost-cutting.
- The SUV is being developed with a joint venture between Suzuki Motor Corporation, Denso Corporation and Toshiba Corporation.
Will hit the road in a few years:
The Maruti-Toyota YY8 electric car will be launched by 2025. The company meticulously working on reducing the manufacturing cost of this car.
To give a tough competition, it is believed that its price will be priced lower than Tata Nexon EV and MG ZS EV. The price of YY8 could be around Rs 13 to 15 lakhs, while the price of Tata Nexon EV ranges from Rs 14.29 to Rs 16.70 lakhs and that for MG ZS EV ranges from Rs 21.49 to Rs 25.18 lakhs.
Also read: A new Gurkha 5 door spy shot is seen with six-seater rivals, third-row captain seats